Friday, July 30, 2010

Homemade Laundry Liquid

My DD 13 & I have wanted to make laundry liquid together for quite a while and when we came across the Duggars recipe we gave it a go- I figure they do quality control on 18 kids every week including little boys so it must be good at getting out many varied stains!!


Homemade Liquid Laundry Soap- Front or top load machine


4 Cups - hot tap water

1 Fels-Naptha soap bar (I used a bar of Sard Soap)

1 Cup  Washing Soda ( I used powder Lectic Soda- it is in the laundry aisle at woolworths- it must be Sodium Carbonate- not baking soda which is sodium bicarbonate)

½ Cup Borax (Also form the laundry aisle in woolworths in a green tub)



- Grate bar of soap and add to saucepan with water. Stir continually over medium-low heat until soap dissolves and is melted.


-Fill a 5 gallon (18 L) bucket half full of hot tap water. Add melted soap, washing soda and Borax. Stir well until all powder is dissolved. Fill bucket to top with more hot water. Stir, cover and let sit overnight to thicken.


-Stir and fill a used, clean, laundry soap dispenser half full with soap and then fill rest of way with water. You can use empty 3L milk bottle or the clear 2 or 3L apple/OJ fruit juice bottles.I store them in big bottles and every few weeks pour into a small bottle to use so it is a bit easier.

Shake before each use. (will gel)

-Optional: You can add 10-15 drops of essential oil per 2 gallons. Add once soap has cooled. Ideas: lavender, rosemary, tea tree oil. (I didnt because I was satisfied woith the sard soap smell)

-Yield: Liquid soap recipe makes 10 gallons. (36L)

-Top Load Machine- 5/8 Cup per load (Approx. 180 loads)

-Front Load Machines- ¼ Cup per load (Approx. 640 loads)


It doesnt suds up very much but does a terrific job of cleaning the clothes.

I occasionally add an extra scoop of napisan or sard just like I would if I was using store bought detergent to get tough toddler stains out. I love it & I enjoyed making it with M, so I wont be buying laundry liquid anymore
:)

No comments:

Post a Comment